Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Granny's Any-Vegetable Soup

My Granny is a wonderful cook. My fondest memories of her are of the times I spent in the kitchen, just watching her. Granny never taught me how to cook and very seldom let me help, but I learned more about it from her than anyone else. Food was how she showed us she cared; it was how she loved.

My mother made a number of Granny's signature dishes, and while she made them well, they were never quite the same. There was something magical about how the smell of Granny's whole house changed when she cooked. Everything seemed to fall silent, dumbstruck with awe, with the exception of the whirring and chopping noises from her galley and her soft grunting as she poured all she had into whatever she prepared.

Sadly, Granny and I have been estranged for some time. Politics and hurt feelings have driven most the of family apart. It happens. She's pretty old now and may not be with us for much longer; and while we won't be able to recoup our relationship I can still taste the love she infused in every bite of every meal she ever made me.

My mother passed down a few of those sacred recipes, and here I will share with you one of my favourites:

Granny's Any-Vegetable Soup
Granny used this recipe for her wonderful carrot soup that she served only on Christmas and Easter. It was always worth the wait.

As the name suggests, any vegetable can be used in this recipe. I have had wonderful results with broccoli, celery, cauliflower, peas, and squash. It's pretty flexible, so have fun with it! Add some garlic or ginger. Maybe a little dill or other fresh herb? I like to make it without any milk to let the fresh flavour of the vegetables shine, using more water to thin it if necessary.

Enjoy!

2 Chopped Onions
2 Cups thinly sliced Carrots (or ANY vegetable)
1/4 Cup Margarine or Butter
3 Cubes of Chicken Stock or equivalent (Vegetable works great, sometimes I just use salt.)
1/4 Cup of Rice
3 Cups Boiling Water
2 Cups Milk (Optional, or substitute for Soy or Almond Milk)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:

Saute onion in margarine until translucent, brown for sweeter soup.
Add carrots and saute until a bit soft.
Add water, stock cubes, and rice.
Cook for 30mins.
Puree!
Add milk and season to taste.
Reheat, but do not boil.

Yum!

1 comment:

  1. An absolutely delicious soup fit for a king (or queen)!!

    ReplyDelete