Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Curiousity

Or a sign of the times?

I went to Starbucks today (spare me your diatribe about the evils corporate coffee, please) where I was offered a free CD. A free Christmas CD. I gracefully declined, much to the surprise of the girl behind the counter who told me I was the first. The first to not care about over played Christmas music? The first to already have enough junk cluttering up my life? No. Just the first to not be sucked in by consumer culture and seduced by free "goods". The first to walk away with just my evil corporate coffee. Can I call this irony?

1 comment:

  1. ha ha i experienced the exact same thing!

    i got a phone call a while ago from a phone salesman who offered me a cd with some of the latest pop hits for free.
    when i declined, it was like he thought i hadn't understood him well, and tried to tell me several times that it was *FOR FREE*.

    he was really surprised when i still didn't want it. like you, i think i must have been the only one who didn't want their free cd.

    i thought it was ironic that he called, as i was doing a major de-cluttering at the moment, giving most of my stuff away to charity and promising myself not to allow more junk into my life. i wish i wasn't the only one who declined their cd. i bet most of the people who got it didn't even listen to it or like the music on it - but just let it clutter a shelf somewhere in their house..

    ReplyDelete