Sunday, March 29, 2009

N'importe Quoi

"N'importe quoi" is one of my favourite French expressions. I use it daily, often to the confusion of my friends and colleagues. It is an incredibly versatile saying and has no real English equivalent, likely why I like it so much. It is the idiosyncratic places between language that get me excited, and pretty much the reason why I want to learn more and more. When I searched online for a translation and definition for NPQ I was not surprised to find several:

Literally/Directly: No importance what.

Also: Whatever, Gibberish, Nonsense, Anything, Any old thing, Bullshit, Outrageous, Blantantly false.

Examples:

Ce magasin vend tout et n'importe quoi.
This store sells anything and everything.

N'écoute pas Philippe - il dit n'importe quoi.
Don't listen to Philippe - he's talking nonsense.

Claire: Va te faire foutre!
Jean-Paul: N'importe quoi!

Claire: Go fuck yourself!
Jean-Paul: Whatever!

Claire: J'ai recu un C sur mon essai.
Jean-Paul: C'est n'importe quoi, ça!

Claire: I got a C on my essay.
Jean-Paul: That's bullshit!


I'd love to see n'importe quoi used by the masses. Please spread it around and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment